Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Halloween Fun 2009

What a fun time of year when we start thinking of costumes, picking out the right pumpkins, and decorating with spooky and sometimes cute Halloween decorations. Before you know it, Halloween is here and the pumpkins still have not been carved. We were happy that Halloween was on a Saturday this year and we had all morning long to get our pumpkins cleaned out and carved. Rees is the master pumpkin cleaner. He has a technique that is fast and painlessly clean. I hate the gooey pumpkin mess! He is also an amazing carver, but he let the kids and me do our own thing this year. The sun was shining and we could clean the pumpkins outside. Rachel chose to carve a very intricate Halloween scene with a black cat in a window. Garrett decided that he wanted to carve the Utah logo into his pumpkin. For such difficult patterns, the kids did an amazing job! I did my traditional drilling holes all over the pumpkin. There is an amazing rush that you get when working with power tools. Haha!

This year we had a little conflict with Halloween. Our Utes had a football game that night. It makes me so mad! They say that it is just so they can show the game on t.v. Whatever happened to the 12:00 noon games when the sun was shining and everything was warm? MAKES ME CRAZY!!! We wanted to be at the game, but also didn't want to miss out on trick-or-treating (we only have a few years left) or our gracious, cute neighbors fun pre-trick-or-treating party that she throws each year in her garage. I promised to make soup this year, so I had to be there, right? She feeds the entire neighborhood. Friends come in costumes (or not dressed up, like me) bringing yummy treats to share. We talk and eat and drink lots of hot chocolate before heading out in the cold. I will dress up next year! Rachel kindly volunteered to take Garrett trick-or-treating and I stayed home to pass out the treats. I love seeing all the cute little neighbor kids dressed in their fun costumes, but I have to admit that I missed going out with kids. They went faster without me, because I like to visit with everyone and it really slows them down. Rachel is a great big sister to Garrett. He doesn't know how lucky he his. I'm sure that she could have been with friends that night, but chose her little brother instead.

Rees went to the game and took grandpa Petersen and Fred Wilco, our cute home teacher. Two Freds. They had a great time and of course the Utes won. A great time was had by all.






No comments:

Post a Comment